Tuesday, 20 May 2014

That Bare Minerals Thing


I have known about Bare Minerals for years. I vaguely recall being transfixed to one of their infomercials in my teens, but I never gave in to them.

Years later and I met my friend who looked radiant. Her skin had never looked better. So I asked the question. What are you wearing? Well she was ever so glad I did and quickly told me all about tap-tap swirl. She had the set up kit, concealers, eye shadows, brushes. the works. She was obsessed. And that's how you apply it she said "tap tap swirl" (aka: tap the tub twice on the counter to release the minerals and swirl in your brush). This powder looked amazing on her, not cakey or powdery, but barely there and natural and glowing. But I still didn't give in to them.

Fast forward two years and another friend has been bought Bare Minerals for Christmas and is asking for my help in applying it. We had a mess around. I gave her some tips and tricks and finally I was seduced. In the dead of night I bought a 8g pot of the Bare Minerals Original, off EBay. I got fairly light, the second lightest shade they do. It's actually quite a good match. I'm NC20 FYI.

Using the Full Flawless brush I went in. tapped and swirled and buffed the minerals into my face. It was good. A very natural base. With hardly any coverage at all. I went in again. It is definitely buildable. I think I got a good medium coverage. Then to cover the darker areas I went in with the concealer brush. It gave a much higher coverage. But alas it wasn't enough to cover everything I needed, so I went in with another trusty concealer.

After a few hours I noticed that my skin looked rather shiny and I was kicking myself for not setting my face with a powder, or even bringing my powder along with me so I could blot. I love the glow but not on my chin. About 8 hours later and the Bare Minerals had started to separate and cake up. Gross!!! Also my lack of setting my undereye makeup had resulted in the smudged panda eye look. Not so important to the review, but I want to give you an idea of the state I was in. I didn't look hot.

I have found that it layers beautifully on top of my Illamasqua skin base, however I find the overall look of the Bare Minerals powder (dare I say it) too shiny?? Maybe I need the matt one?

No comments:

Post a Comment