Thursday, 24 April 2014

Product Review: L'oreal True Match Foundation


Ah finally. I'm getting my say on the True Match foundation. I bought this back in January and months later finally feel ready to give it my two cents. Enjoy xoxo


The word on the street is that this is a great (albeit matte-er) dupe of Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk. As one cannot afford to buy the Giorgio Armani offering right now I was slightly perplexed until I read Liana Beauty's True Match review Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk Dupe and got interested. Oh and on top of that, this foundation won the In Style Beauty Award 2014 on the best high street foundation and all the bloggers are in full raving swing mode too. So whoop this is the drugstore foundation of the moment. And the hype definitely fuelled its purchase. At the time I wanted a fuller coverage and this seemed just the ticket.


My experience thus far hasn't been that positive to be honest. I find wearing a fuller coverage is a downward spiral anyway. You can't just slap on and go because the mask like appearance and sunken and darkened eye effect it creates is distasteful and I need to get out the bronzer and the contour and all the eye makeup, So for me it is a going out foundation, or for the really bad skin days. I keep caking it despite how much of a moisturising base I put on. It's just irritating and that dry flaky foundation patch between the eyebrows, which I banished years ago has come back with a vengeance. I've tried with fingers, a beauty blender, a paddle brush, a buffing brush and a stippling brush. This foundation looks heavy slash cakey with all. I think it's so hard to work with because it has a runny consistency and I don't have the skills to work with it, so if your not a pro you might struggle too.


On the bright side of things It does looks good in photographs and in low lighting no one can tell that your foundation is crap anyway so an event foundation (at the club) it definitely is.


When I wear it I can't help but long for my beloved Illamasqua Skin Base. I find Skin Base gives as much coverage but is easier to apply, you need much, much less of it and gives a radiant healthy glow to the skin. True Match takes at least 3 pumps to cover ones face and leaves it looking a little flat to be honest. I guess with effort it blends out ok but too many streak lines and I'm bored. And where the hell does the caking come from? Clearly I need more practice. Also, despite being quite a high coverage, for me anyway, I still need to go in with concealer to cover blemishes and discolouration further.


I have worn this to work in the name of research and I find that it has about 5 hours of longevity and that's with a primer and powder and all the longevity enhancing things.


I guess it's not fair for me to pan this foundation. I rock the "no makeup makeup" half the time and omit foundation altogether the other half of the time, and in my heart, need my skin to look f***** glowing. End of. But I'm seduced time and time again for a matt coverage when my skin gets bad.


If you want a moderate to high coverage highstreet/drugstore foundation this does do the trick and I would recommend you at least try this out. It doesn't smell, or split or feel sticky or disappear after ten seconds. As a foundation it is a good foundation. However if you aren't sure of the foundation thing and buy this to cover up on a whim to enhance your self esteem - it won't, so don't. Stick to your tinted moisturiser or "glowy" foundation and buy a good concealer instead. I recommend MAC Studio Finish or the Soap and Glory Kick Ass concealer.


So yeah, probably a little different to the other reviews out there. I think this foundation appeared in everyones Feb/march favourites didn't it? I left my review for so long because I wanted to love it too and be a pro at applying it and tell all the stories of how I overcame my application disability, but alas that is not to be the case. xoxo






No comments:

Post a Comment